Rapist in uniform must face normal procedure: Kiran Bedi
Srinagar: Anybody in uniform who commits rape must go through normal civil proceedings, civil society activist and former police officer Kiran Bedi said on Monday.
"Anybody in uniform, whether a policeman or an army man, who commits rape must go through the normal procedure of civil proceedings," she told reporters after distributing scholarships to students of the Aryan group of colleges at the Kashmir University campus here.
"Let there be a court martial also; such a person has to be dismissed, but a strong message must go through that they are here for security and not for committing a crime. I fully support Justice Verma recommendation regarding this," she said, referring to the report of the three-member committee headed by retired chief justice JS Verma.
The panel was set up after the Dec 16 Delhi gang-rape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it