Rapist in uniform must face normal procedure: Kiran Bedi
Srinagar: Anybody in uniform who commits rape must go through normal civil proceedings, civil society activist and former police officer Kiran Bedi said on Monday.
"Anybody in uniform, whether a policeman or an army man, who commits rape must go through the normal procedure of civil proceedings," she told reporters after distributing scholarships to students of the Aryan group of colleges at the Kashmir University campus here.
"Let there be a court martial also; such a person has to be dismissed, but a strong message must go through that they are here for security and not for committing a crime. I fully support Justice Verma recommendation regarding this," she said, referring to the report of the three-member committee headed by retired chief justice JS Verma.
The panel was set up after the Dec 16 Delhi gang-rape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!