Rapist in uniform must face normal procedure: Kiran Bedi
Srinagar: Anybody in uniform who commits rape must go through normal civil proceedings, civil society activist and former police officer Kiran Bedi said on Monday.
"Anybody in uniform, whether a policeman or an army man, who commits rape must go through the normal procedure of civil proceedings," she told reporters after distributing scholarships to students of the Aryan group of colleges at the Kashmir University campus here.
"Let there be a court martial also; such a person has to be dismissed, but a strong message must go through that they are here for security and not for committing a crime. I fully support Justice Verma recommendation regarding this," she said, referring to the report of the three-member committee headed by retired chief justice JS Verma.
The panel was set up after the Dec 16 Delhi gang-rape.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed