‘Ready to do more for Tamil area reconstruction’
Kilinochchi: SM Krishna on Wednesday used his
visit to this former LTTE bastion, the first by any Indian
leader in recent years, to assure the war-weary Tamils of
northern Sri Lanka of India`s unflinching support and help as
they pick up their lives following decades of bloodshed.
The External Affairs Minister distributed newly-built
houses and renovated schools, constructed with Indian
assistance, and said India was willing to provide more help
for their development of the war-torn region.
Arriving in this town, that still carries the scars of
the three-decade-old ethnic conflict, by a helicopter from
capital Colombo, Krishna also handed over high-tech medical
equipments worth Rs 1.5 crore to the District Central Hospital
here which attracts patients from the three northern districts
of Kilinochchi, Vavuniya and Mullaitivu.
The Minister, who was accompanied by his counterpart GL
Peiris, Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa and
Small Industries Minister and Tamil leader Douglas Devananda,
asserted that India remains fully committed towards the
rehabilitation, resettlement and well-being of displaced
persons in the Northern Province.
Inaugurating the first of the 79 renovated schools, that
were badly damaged due to the war between the Sri Lankan Army
and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, Krishna said the
project was aimed at delivering a facelift to basic
educational infrastructure of the region.
"I am happy to note that as a result of this intervention
families will be able to send their children to schools, and
students will have a decent learning environment offering them
a better future," Krishna said.
"India remains fully committed towards rehabilitation,
resettlement and well-being of displaced persons in the
Northern Province. We stand ready to do more," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know