Reduce dependence on imports for arms: Antony to IAF
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of efforts to increase indigenisation to avoid defence scams, Defence Minister AK Antony on Tuesday asked the IAF to reduce its dependence on imports and work towards achieving self reliance in military weapon systems.
"We must minimise the over-reliance of our armed forces in general and IAF, in particular, on foreign Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) for procurement of major aircraft and equipment," he said at the bi-annual IAF Commanders` conference.
The Minister`s statement comes at a time when a former IAF chief is facing inquiry by the CBI in connection with the alleged AgustaWestland kickbacks scam in procurement of VVIP choppers.
Antony also asked the force to observe austerity measures as directed by the Finance Ministry and avoid ceremonial formalities.
"Though availability of funds shall never be an issue, we need to strictly observe austerity measures circulated by the Ministry of Finance. "Efforts must be made to cut down expenditure on non-core activities and avoidable ceremonial formalities," he said.
The Minister said the Government remains committed to the modernisation of force, which is planning to induct a number of systems at a cost of over Rs 2 lakh crore in next five years.
"The procurement and acquisitions span the entire spectrum of the capabilities of IAF including fighter aircraft, transport aircraft, helicopters and modernisation of air defence network," he said at the conference with the theme `Enhancement of Op Infrastructure and Security`.
The Minister asked the IAF to upgrade its legacy systems and modern systems to retain and further strengthen its capabilities.
The Minister commended the force on the successful conduct of the lAF`s largest exercise `Exercise - Live Wire`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown