Reorient mindsets, give up segmented approaches: PM to forces
New Delhi: Identifying cyber world and space as the sources of new threats, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday said these could be met by reorienting "mindsets" as he warned the Armed Forces that segmented approaches would delay or dilute the responses.
Addressing top commanders of Army, Air Force and Navy here, he said India`s security challenges remain "diverse and serious" in the form of cross-border terrorism, transnational crime and drug trafficking.
"Added to these are new challenges in areas that constitute the `global commons` -- such as space, the high seas and cyber space," he said.
Singh also talked about the need to protect "new found equities" like securing the sea lanes for energy security.
Underlining that "comprehensive responses" are required to meet "growing complexities", Singh said, "We should aim to abandon single service or segmented approaches and develop synergies across services. Compartmentalised views will only delay our response and dilute its impact."
He particularly stressed the need for increasing capabilities in "emerging areas like cyber and space, which can be the sources of new threats" and said, "We must therefore reorient our mindsets and define a long-term integrated perspective that aligns these capabilities with envisaged outcomes."
Noting that security will remain a "pre-eminent and key pillar" of national strength, the Prime Minister said the Services will have to equip themselves to meet the evolving challenges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’