Respect the existence of plurality of identities: Hamid Ansari
Varanasi: Indian multiculturalism has set
high standards for the world to follow but many doubts are
being raised about its feasibility in different parts of the
world, Vice-President Hamid Ansari said on Saturday.
Speaking on the theme `Nationalism and Internationalism
in the world of tomorrow`, Ansari said the challenge of
resolving tensions remains work in progress.
"Homogenisation or assimilation, however, is not the
answer; it is neither feasible nor desirable," the Vice
President said while delivering an address at annual
convocation of Banaras Hindu University.
Ansari opined that a de-nationalisation of the state
appears to be in progress.
"We increasingly encounter the role of supra-national and
sub-national entities. On the one hand, there are global
problems that transcend national borders in their origin and
impact," Ansari said.
He clubbed pandemics, climatic and environmental
disasters and economic crisis in this category and said the
need was global solutions through international consultation,
cooperation and enforcement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged