Right kind of environment for Indians needed in Oz: Krishna
Kuwait City: India on Thursday said it was
concerned about the safety of its students in Australia and
underlined the need to provide the "right kind of environment"
to allow them to pursue studies there.
Noting that Australian government has assured India that
they were taking adequate steps to ensure safety of Indian
students, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna said,
"Government of India is closely monitoring the developments
"Between the Governments of Australia and India, we
should be able to see that the right kind of environment will
be available for students to pursue the purpose they have gone
for with single-minded contention," he told reporters here.
Referring to the high-level meetings between the two
countries, he said this is indicative of the fact that they
are coming closer.
"We also recognise that there is a large students`
community present in Australia in various cities pursuing
higher studies and skills and the Government of India is
concerned about their safety," he said.
Krishna noted that Australian Foreign Minister Stephen
Smith had said that their federal government and two state
governments of that country had formed a high-level committee
to address the concerns of Indian students.
"I hope that the high-level committee has met and will
continue to monitor developments as and when they occur in
Australia," he said.
Krishna, who recently met his Australian counterpart
Smith in London on the margins of a global conference on
Afghanistan, said he hoped that Canberra would continue to
take such steps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!