RPN Singh`s faux pas on Rajiv Gandhi`s security
New Delhi: Minister of State for Home RPN Singh on Wednesday committed a faux pas when he said the NDA government had failed to provide security to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, who was assassinated in 1991.
"I want to tell people in NDA that when they were in power former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was not given security even in the level of a sub-inspector. He had to sacrifice his life. They now talk about security," he told reporters here.
He was reacting to BJP`s charge earlier in the day that the Centre and the Bihar government had failed to prevent the multiple blasts in Patna which were aimed at liquidating BJP leadership including its Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Seven years before the BJP-led NDA came to power in 1998, Gandhi was killed in a terror attack in the run up to the 1991 Lok Sabha elections when a caretaker government headed by the then Prime Minister Chandrashekhar was in power.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'