RPN Singh`s faux pas on Rajiv Gandhi`s security
New Delhi: Minister of State for Home RPN Singh on Wednesday committed a faux pas when he said the NDA government had failed to provide security to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, who was assassinated in 1991.
"I want to tell people in NDA that when they were in power former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was not given security even in the level of a sub-inspector. He had to sacrifice his life. They now talk about security," he told reporters here.
He was reacting to BJP`s charge earlier in the day that the Centre and the Bihar government had failed to prevent the multiple blasts in Patna which were aimed at liquidating BJP leadership including its Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Seven years before the BJP-led NDA came to power in 1998, Gandhi was killed in a terror attack in the run up to the 1991 Lok Sabha elections when a caretaker government headed by the then Prime Minister Chandrashekhar was in power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued