Rs 1.33 lakh crore tax non-recoverable: Fin Min to Parl panel
New Delhi: A Parliamentary committee has come down heavily on the Finance Ministry for writing off over Rs 1.33 lakh crore as non-recoverable direct tax saying it owes an explanation on how the situation was allowed to reach ‘irretrievable’ levels.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Finance has expressed surprise that out of a total demand of Rs 2,48,927 crore as direct tax arrear, Rs 1,33,665 crore is not ‘realisable’.
It said a tax demand of Rs 61,846 crore falls under the category of "difficult to recover", leaving a balance of mere Rs 7,348 crore as collectible arrears.
"The Committee are alarmed at such a huge amount of tax due to government, which cannot be collected at all. The Department of Revenue thus owes an explanation to the Committee as to how such an irretrievable situation arose," the panel has said in its draft report.
The Department of Revenue told the Committee that recovery of tax arrears from Pune businessman Hassan Ali Khan, an accused in cases of money laundering, is not possible despite attaching his known movable and immovable assets.
It said as per the existing guidelines, recovery through sale of attached properties can be made only after the decision of appeal filed before the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal.
"Further, the attached assets are inadequate to recover the entire dues," it said.
In cases related to the security scam also, the recovery is not possible as it pertains to persons notified under the Special Court (TORT Act, 1992), and no recovery can be made directly from these persons, the department said.
It said out of the total arrear of Rs 2,48,927 crore, Rs 1,30,500 crore pertained to money laundering and securities scam cases.
On the issue of Hassan Ali and Securities Scam issue, The Department of Revenue had made a similar presentation before Public Accounts Committee (PAC) recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’