RS adjourned over reply on woman freedom fighter
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha was adjourned Monday for 15 minutes following protests by members over the reply of Human Resource Development (HRD) ministry for including the contribution of freedom fighter Avantibai in in school text books.
The HRD ministry in its reply said the move will increase the burden on schoolchildren.
Raising the issue during zero hour, Ganga Charan of the Bahujan Samajwadi Party (BSP) took strong exception to the ministry`s reply and was joined by several other members, including those of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). They said it was an insult to freedom fighters.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said he will convey the feelings of the house to HRD Minister Kapil Sibal at the earliest.
Members advanced to the speaker`s podium and started raisin slogans, following which the house was adjourned for 15 minutes.
Avanitbai Lodhi was the wife of Vikramaditya Singh, who ruled the state of Ramgarh in what is now Madhya Pradesh. When he died leaving no heir, the British placed Ramgarh under their administration. Avantibai vowed to fight the British to regain her throne. She raised an army of 4,000 and personally led it against the British in the first war of Independence in 1857. After a few months` struggle, she saw that her defeat was imminent and killed herself with her own sword March 20, 1858.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Government to unveil solar zones policy in June
- RBI to lower rates by another 0.50% in FY17: Morgan Stanley
- Telcos take cover under new technology to mask call drops
- Black money: PM Modi to visit Switzerland, discuss issue with Swiss Prez
- Indian discus thrower Seema Punia qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics