RS adjourned over Sri Lankan Tamil issue
New Delhi: Uproar by DMK and AIADMK with the
support from the Left on the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils led to
repeated stalling of proceedings in the Rajya Sabha till 2 pm.
Members from Tamil Nadu raised the issue as soon as the
House met for the day, which was to be the first official
working day of the budget session after the Presidential
address in the joint sitting on Monday.
DMK members were demanding that India should support a
resolution moved by the US, France and Norway in the United
Nations Human Rights Commission (UNHRC) against the alleged
atrocities committed on Sri Lankan Tamils during the island
nation`s civil war.
DMK was joined by members of its rival AIADMK and Left
parties in seeking a response from the government on the stand
India would take on the resolution. Amid uproar the House was
adjourned till noon.
Soon after the House reassembled for Zero Hour, the
agitating members trooped into the well not paying heed to
repeated pleas by Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan, leading to
its adjournment for 15 minutes and then again till 2 pm.
The Government agreed to make a statement on the issue and
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said, "the
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna will reach Delhi today
evening. Tomorrow he will make a statement." But, members
disagreed and sought a statement today itself.
The issue of alleged atrocities on Sri Lankan Tamils
dominated the proceedings, with DMK and AIADMK demanding a
statement from the Government on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves