RS adjourned sine die after stormy Monsoon session
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha was adjourned sine die on Thursday after a stormy Monsoon session with Chairman Hamid Ansari expressing disappointment over the frequent interruptions resulting in loss of 53 business hours.
The session, however, created history by adopting a motion for removal of Calcutta High Court Judge Soumitra Sen on charges of misappropriation of funds.
Another hallmark of the six-week long session was the
discussion on the issue of Lokpal.
"On both the occasions, the House witnessed a very high
quality of debate," Ansari said in his valedictory remarks.
Significantly, the Rajya Sabha secretariat said the
discussion on the Lokpal on August 27 culminated with the
House unanimously adopting a resolution for a strong Lokpal
"The discussion lasted for about seven hours after which
the House unanimously adopted a Resolution for a strong Lokpal
Bill," it said.
Earlier, the government had stated that both Lok Sabha and
Rajya Sabha conveyed "sense of the House" to the Standing
Committee scrutinising the Lokpal Bill.
Expressing indignation over the frequent disruptions,
Ansari said, "It being the Monsoon session, (the House) has
lived up to its appellation with stormy proceedings... Many
matters of public importance remained unattended. This is a
sad commentary on the right and duty of the Members who
participate meaningfully in the proceedings of the House. It
calls for introspection..."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui