Sampath to take charge as CEC on June 11
New Delhi: V S Sampath will take charge as the next Chief Election Commissioner on June 11, according to a government notification issued on Thursday.
President Pratibha Patil had cleared his appointment on Wednesday evening.
According to the notification, Sampath will take over as the CEC on June 11, a day after present incumbent S Y Quraishi demits office.
A former bureaucrat, 62-year-old Veeravalli Sundaram Sampat has had stints in varied positions in Andhra Pradesh and Delhi.
He was Power Secretary at the Centre before he was appointed Election Commissioner in April, 2009.
Born on January 16, 1950, Sampath will be at the helm of Election Commission until January, 2015 when he attains 65 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?