Sampath to take charge as CEC on June 11
New Delhi: V S Sampath will take charge as the next Chief Election Commissioner on June 11, according to a government notification issued on Thursday.
President Pratibha Patil had cleared his appointment on Wednesday evening.
According to the notification, Sampath will take over as the CEC on June 11, a day after present incumbent S Y Quraishi demits office.
A former bureaucrat, 62-year-old Veeravalli Sundaram Sampat has had stints in varied positions in Andhra Pradesh and Delhi.
He was Power Secretary at the Centre before he was appointed Election Commissioner in April, 2009.
Born on January 16, 1950, Sampath will be at the helm of Election Commission until January, 2015 when he attains 65 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet