Sanjay Dutt likely to file curative petition in SC: Lawyer
Mumbai: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who surrendered on Thursday before a special TADA court here, is planning to file a curative petition before the Supreme Court, his lawyer said.
"We are planning to file a curative petition in the apex court soon," Dutt`s advocate Rizwan Merchant told special TADA Judge GA Sanap when the proceedings were on to take the 53-year-old actor into custody.
Dutt had earlier filed a review petition in the apex court against its March 21 judgement upholding his conviction under the Arms Act and sentencing him to five years in jail.
The apex court had, however, rejected the review petition and directed him to surrender by May 16.
After review petition, a convict is left with the option of filing a curative petition or a pardon petition.
The concept of curative petition was evolved in 2002 by a SC judgement to cure any defect that may lead to gross miscarriage of justice in a final judgement/order of the Supreme Court, after dismissal of a review petition.
While a review petition has to be filed within 30 days of the judgement, there is no time limit for filing a curative petition.
Dutt`s remaining options also include a leniency plea and remissions (like for good behaviour) which can reduce his jail term.
While Dutt has himself not filed any pardon petition, over 30 applications have been received by the Governor of Maharashtra seeking pardon for the actor. Dutt can even file a pardon petition before the President.
Dutt today surrendered before the special court to serve the remaining three-and-a-half year sentence. The actor is likely to be lodged at the Yerwada prison in Pune where generally the convicts are put in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand