Sanjay Dutt`s third stint in Yerawada jail
Pune: The high rise walls of Yerawada Central Jail here maintain a stony silence but curious passers-by in this suburban area have been taking a momentary pause to look at the imposing gates behind which Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt has started his 42-month sentence.
The 53-year-old filmstar was shifted to the historic jail, where Mahatma Gandhi was incarcerated during freedom struggle, in a hush-hush pre-dawn operation on May 22 to serve his remaining sentence in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
After swiftly moving him here from Mumbai`s Arthur Road prison in the wee hours to avoid media glare that had marked Dutt`s earlier arrival at Yerawada in 2007, the jail authorities are yet to take a decision on the mandatory manual work the actor is supposed to undertake as an inmate.
"He is being kept in a separate cell for security reasons. We will decide on the work to be given to him as per the prison manual," said a jail official.
Now sporting a badge that declares him "Qaidi No 16656", Dutt, who has landed at Yerawada jail for the third time, kept to himself and followed the prescribed routine which includes breakfast at 7.30 AM, lunch at 11.30 AM and an early dinner at 6.30 PM, sources said.
He had spent six nights at Aurther Road Jail since his surrender on May 16.
Additional DGP (Prisons) Meeran Borwankar said Dutt`s jail routine, which will include specific work, will be decided shortly.
He will be treated like a normal convict and would be granted only those concessions granted to him by the court for a period of one month, the official said.
The last time when he was in Yerawada, Dutt had been given the work of knitting cane chairs in prison where the carpentry section produces a good volume of wooden furniture that is sold outside.
Dutt, who also made baskets under supervision of an instructor, was paid Rs 12.50 per day, equivalent to the wages paid to an unskilled worker in jail.
The "Munnabhai" of the tinsel town will have to spend in the jail, where he was lodged twice in 2007, the remainder of his five-year sentence confirmed by the Supreme Court for illegal possession of arms in a 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
Barrack No 3, where Dutt`s cell is located, looks on a spacious area dotted with trees, said an official. Yusuf Nulwala, Dutt`s friend and co-convict, too is kept in the same barrack in a separate cell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow