SC cancels bail of life convicts for misconduct
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday cancelled the bail of three convicts, who had secured it claiming that the man for whose alleged murder they were serving the life term, was very much alive.
A bench headed by Justice R M Lodha cancelled the bail of trio - Dal Chand, Mohan and Rameshwar, terming their conduct as "reprehensible" and ordered them to surrender within three days failing which the Jhansi police superintendent was asked to ensure that they are taken into custody.
The apex court passed the order, recalling its November 4, 2011 order which had granted bail to the trio, who had claimed false implication in the murder of one Bhagwan Das of Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh in 2000.
The apex court by a subsequent order had also directed the Jhansi district and sessions judge to conduct a thorough probe into the convicts` claim and submit a report to it.
The sessions judge subsequently in its report had said the convicts` claim was totally false and added the said Bhagwan Das had indeed been murdered by the trio.
The sessions judge informed the court that the convicts had relied on the claim of one Bhagwan Das` step-brother Manu, who had been impersonating himself as Bhagwan Das to usurp the property left behind by the deceased.
"We deprecate the conduct of the petitioners (convicts). It is most reprehensible that they chose to misrepresent the facts before the court.
"It may make an interesting story as to how a step-brother has impersonated to grab the property, said the bench, which also included justices H L Gokhale and Ranjan Gogoi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof