SC cancels bail of life convicts for misconduct
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday cancelled the bail of three convicts, who had secured it claiming that the man for whose alleged murder they were serving the life term, was very much alive.
A bench headed by Justice R M Lodha cancelled the bail of trio - Dal Chand, Mohan and Rameshwar, terming their conduct as "reprehensible" and ordered them to surrender within three days failing which the Jhansi police superintendent was asked to ensure that they are taken into custody.
The apex court passed the order, recalling its November 4, 2011 order which had granted bail to the trio, who had claimed false implication in the murder of one Bhagwan Das of Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh in 2000.
The apex court by a subsequent order had also directed the Jhansi district and sessions judge to conduct a thorough probe into the convicts` claim and submit a report to it.
The sessions judge subsequently in its report had said the convicts` claim was totally false and added the said Bhagwan Das had indeed been murdered by the trio.
The sessions judge informed the court that the convicts had relied on the claim of one Bhagwan Das` step-brother Manu, who had been impersonating himself as Bhagwan Das to usurp the property left behind by the deceased.
"We deprecate the conduct of the petitioners (convicts). It is most reprehensible that they chose to misrepresent the facts before the court.
"It may make an interesting story as to how a step-brother has impersonated to grab the property, said the bench, which also included justices H L Gokhale and Ranjan Gogoi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical