SC Collegium not necessarily `playing straight`: HC Judge
Bangalore: Senior Karnataka High Court Judge DV Shylendra Kumar, known for his outspoken views on judiciary, took a fresh swipe at the Supreme Court Collegium saying it was not necessarily "playing straight."
Observing there were "dark spots and dimly lit" areas in judiciary, Justice Kumar in his latest outburst slammed the Collegium and High Courts for their "masked manner" of
functioning. The Collegium is a panel of five senior-most judges of the Supreme Court.
The judge posting his views on his website said the Collegium was "not necessarily playing straight or in consonance with the accepted moral standards."
Justice Kumar shot into limelight early last year after he took on the then Supreme Court Chief Justice KG Balakrishnan on the issue of Judges making their assets
Noting the "dark spots and dimly lit" areas in the judiciary was nothing but "aberrations" of the times, he said the Judiciary would definitely weather these hiccups and "shed
its black sheep".
The observations made by the judge at a function in
Mangalore recently formed the basis for his views on his
"It is no doubt that there are dark spots and dimly lit
areas in the judiciary and as of now, there may be a case of
Justice Dinakaran in the South, Justice Nirmal Yadav in the
North and Justice Soumitra Sen in the East and also the masked
manner of functioning of the Collegium of Supreme Court and
the High Courts...," he said.
"...I am of the view that these are all nothing but
aberrations of the times and the institution of judiciary will
definitely weather these hiccups, shed its black sheep and
emerge clear and virtuous in the long run", he said.
Justice Shylendra Kumar had raised the issue of judges
making their assets public in a big way and voluntarily put
details about his assets on his website in August last year.
The judge had earlier targeted the Collegium questioning
its manner of functioning and accused it of being "secretive"
in selection of judges and "blissfully remaining insensitive
to public opinion. "
He had also consistently attacked Karnataka High Court
Chief Justice PD Dinakaran, against whom impeachment
proceedings are pending in Rajya Sabha, over his continuing to
discharge administrative functions while being away from the
Bench following the land grab charges against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception