SC did not consider Achuthanandan`s plea against marines
Thiruvananthapuram/New Delhi: CPI-M leader and former Kerala chief minister VS Achuthanandan`s attempt to restrain murder accused Italian marines from leaving the country failed in the Supreme Court which did not consider his petition fit for hearing due to certain defects.
Achuthanandan had yesterday rushed to the apex court for getting urgent hearing on his plea but the registry declined to mark it for hearing saying the petition was not accompanied by certain documents including the Kerala High Court order allowing the foreign nationals to leave for their country.
His counsel R Sathish said due to paucity of time, the defects cannot be cured and the petition has become infructous as the marines have already left the Indian soil.
The counsel said an attempt would be made either to rectify the defects or a fresh petition would be filed challenging the Kerala High Court order.
The marines are accused of shooting dead two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast. The High Court allowed them to go home to celebrate Christmas.
The apex court had earlier reserved their plea seeking quashing of charges against them.
In his petition, Achuthanandan had said although he was not a party to the case but he was moving the apex court in his capacity as Opposition Leader as it was an important matter.
Sources in the office of the Opposition Leader in Kerala said since Italy had taken a stern stand that India had no right to arrest its citizens as the incident had happened in high seas, it was not proper to release the marines on the basis of an assurance from the Italian Ambassador.
Achuthanandan had yesterday lashed out at the Kerala government for not challenging the Thursday`s High Court order in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened