SC hearing on row over appointment of IPS Archana Ramasundram today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will hear the PIL filed against woman IPS officer Archana Ramasundram on Monday who was earlier restrained from functioning from the post of Additional Director in CBI despite appointment.
The documents related to her appointment and postings will be submitted to the court today.
The apex court had earlier restrained Ramasundram from functioning as the Additional Director until further instructions as initial arguments suggested that her appointment was in breach of the selection process.
The PIL behind the selection process was filed by senior journalist Vineet Narain who questioned her appointment instead of RK Pachanda, who was recommended by the selection committee.
Ramasundram is the first woman IPS officer to be appointed to the senior post of Additional Director of CBI.
The controversy started shortly after her appointment on May 8 earlier this year.
She had requested the Tamil Nadu government soon after her being selected for the post in February this year to relieve her from the charge of Director General of Police/Chairperson, Tamil Nadu Uniformed Services` Recruitment Board.
However, the state government did not revert to the request.
When Ramachandran took charge of the new post in March, the TN government suspended her with “immediate effect” as she was not formally relieved from her post.
The senior 1980 batch IPS officer is from Tamil Nadu cadre. Her husband, retired IAS officer S Ramasundaram, is said to be close to DMK party.
Her appointment was recommended by CBI Director Ranjit Sinha which was later approved by committee headed by then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row