SC issues notices to states, UTs on legalising passive euthanasia
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Hearing a plea on allowing euthanasia for people who are terminally ill and have slim chances of survival, the Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notices to all states and Union Territories.
The notice is returnable in eight weeks.
The plea urges the apex court of the country to legalise passive euthanasia.
The Centre today argued in the court that passive euthanasia is a form of suicide which cannot be
The court today also appointed former solicitor general TR Andhyarujina as amicus curiae to assist it in the case.
The petition was filed by NGO Common Cause seeking voluntary passive euthanasia including withdrawal of life support system to a terminally ill person and stopping medication.
During the court hearing on Tuesday, a Constitution bench comprising Chief Justice RM Lodha, Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar, Justice J Chelameswar, Justice AK Sikri and Justice Rohinton Fali Nariman said that a will of a person can only be executed after the death of a person.
Bhushan, appearing for NGO Common Cause, urged the court to put in place a procedure under which a terminally ill person or whose health has deteriorated should be able to execute his or her will and ‘attorney authorisation’ for passive euthanasia as and when the situation arrives.
Appearing for the Centre, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi told the court that the plea for voluntary passive euthanasia was against public policy as it would be in the lines of abetment to suicide and attempt to commit suicide.
He said that since the issue concerned public policy, it can only be settled by Parliament.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days