SC judge calls for change in education policies
Hyderabad: Referring to the recent incident, in which, a 15-year-old student stabbed his teacher to death in Chennai, Supreme Court Judge Altamas Kabir on Sunday called for changes in the existing education policies.
"What caused him (student) to resort to this act? There is tremendous amount of pressure on children and time has come to make changes in existing education policies," Justice Kabir, who is also Chairman of National Legal Services Authority said.
He was speaking at a workshop on `Roles and Responsibilities of Multi-Disciplinary Stakeholders in Protecting Children`, where he further said that though there
were several schemes and laws to protect the children, a sense of caring towards them is required.
"About 42 percent of citizens of the country are
children and out of this, 75 percent children are deprived of
basic facilities and normal childhood. Problems of children
should be addressed through combined efforts by various
stakeholders, who should also show sensitivity while dealing
with matters related to children," he said.
Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court Madan B
Lokur said, juveniles must be rehabilitated properly and
society should change its attitude towards such children, when
they are re-integrated into society, adding coordination and
collective efforts amongst administration officials, police
and NGOs was important for addressing juvenile welfare in a
AP Minister for Women and Child Development V Sunitha
Laxma Reddy said, it was the fundamental responsibility of all
to ensure that every child is protected, nurtured, bereft of
any threat and is brought up to be a responsible citizen.
Chief Secretary Pankaj Dwivedi said, children were
vulnerable to exploitation, abuse and violence besides
trafficking. "The AP government has taken pro-active steps for
child welfare and to protect children from trafficking," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan