SC pulls up Jayalalithaa for filing 4 nominations in 2001 polls
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Tuesday pulled up Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for filing four nominations during the 2001 Assembly polls.
"You had held top post in the state and held post only below to his excellency. You are a public figure in the state and you run a party.
How can you do this?" a Bench of Justices H L Dattu and C K Prasad said while hearing a plea of the AIADMK chief seeking quashing of criminal proceedings against her for filing four nominations.
She had approached the apex court challenging Madras High Court`s order directing the Election Commission to register a case against her in a magistrate court but the proceedings were stayed by the Supreme Court in July 2007.
The apex court also criticised the Returning Officer(RO) of the Election Commission for not initiating proceedings against her after she filed multiple nomination papers.
"Here is the Returning Officer who wanted to tow the line of this lady," the bench observed.
The bench also said that the High Court was not right in directing the Election Commission to register the case and it should have just directed the RO to re-examine the issue.
Senior advocate U U Lalit, appearing for the Chief Minister, submitted there was no suppression of facts on her part and she had revealed all informations in her nomination paper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today