SC verdict on homosexuality against liberal values of Constitution: AAP
New Delhi: A day after Supreme Court set aside a landmark Delhi High Court order decriminalising gay sex, Aam Aadmi Party on Thursday said it was disappointed with the verdict which was against the "liberal values" of the Constitution.
The party said that it hopes and expects that the apex court would review this judgment and that Parliament will also step in to repeal this archaic law.
It said the Supreme Court`s judgment criminalises the personal behaviour of consenting adults and places all those who are born with or choose a different sexual orientation at the mercy of the police.
"This not only violates the human rights of such individuals, but goes against the liberal values of our Constitution, and the spirit of our times," the party said in a statement.
"The Aam Aadmi party is disappointed with the judgment of the Supreme Court upholding the Section 377 of the IPC and reversing the landmark judgment of the Delhi High Court on the subject," it said.
In a big blow to the LGBT community, the Supreme Court had yesterday set aside a landmark Delhi High Court judgement decriminalising gay sex and threw the ball in Parliament`s court for amending law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog