Sec agencies unable to decode some communications
New Delhi: Security agencies are still
unable to decrypt some intercepted communication into readable
format even after multiple efforts by the government to ensure
real time interception of messages transmitted through telecom
networks in the country, the Lok Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"Security agencies are able to intercept the services,
including Blackberry Messenger (BBM), Nokia Pushmail, Skype,
Yahoo, Gmail etc through lawful interception... However,
security agencies have intimated that they are not able to
decrypt some encrypted intercepted communication to readable
format," Minister of State for Telecom Milind Deora informed
the Lok Sabha in written reply.
The government has been insisting that telecom operators
provide access to all communication send through their
network, mainly for the national security reason.
Deora said telecom service providers (TSPs) have stated
that they have provided the requisite interception facilities
to security agencies.
"With regard to decrypting the intercepted communication,
it is stated that TSPs are mere carriers, who are not supposed
to know the content of the intercepted messages and may not be
able to decrypt the content," Deora said.
Globally several service providers are providing services
like BBM, Nokia Pushmail, Skype and others for sharing audio,
video, e-mail and other form communication services.
The messages send using these services are secured using
encryption technology that include complex codes with an
intention to prevent it from hackers and other cyber
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Structural reforms needed to put India on faster growth path
- Total prohibition decision dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi: Nitish
- Centre buys 2,300 tonnes of onion so far to build buffer
- Revealed! Sanjay Dutt opens up about his comeback plans
- Goa Board 12th HSSC Result 2016: Goaresults.nic.in & Gbshse.gov.in GBSHSE Class 12th HSSC Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 10, 2016