Sec agencies unable to decode some communications
New Delhi: Security agencies are still
unable to decrypt some intercepted communication into readable
format even after multiple efforts by the government to ensure
real time interception of messages transmitted through telecom
networks in the country, the Lok Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"Security agencies are able to intercept the services,
including Blackberry Messenger (BBM), Nokia Pushmail, Skype,
Yahoo, Gmail etc through lawful interception... However,
security agencies have intimated that they are not able to
decrypt some encrypted intercepted communication to readable
format," Minister of State for Telecom Milind Deora informed
the Lok Sabha in written reply.
The government has been insisting that telecom operators
provide access to all communication send through their
network, mainly for the national security reason.
Deora said telecom service providers (TSPs) have stated
that they have provided the requisite interception facilities
to security agencies.
"With regard to decrypting the intercepted communication,
it is stated that TSPs are mere carriers, who are not supposed
to know the content of the intercepted messages and may not be
able to decrypt the content," Deora said.
Globally several service providers are providing services
like BBM, Nokia Pushmail, Skype and others for sharing audio,
video, e-mail and other form communication services.
The messages send using these services are secured using
encryption technology that include complex codes with an
intention to prevent it from hackers and other cyber
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP