`Sindhis coming from Pak be granted citizenship`
Indore: A senior leader of the Sindhi community on Tuesday urged the Centre to take immediate steps to grant citizenship to Sindhis who had arrived from Pakistan on religious visas and did not want to return fearing persecution.
"There are nearly 3,000 refugees belonging to Sindhi community who have arrived in India on religious visa following harassment in Pakistan on religious grounds and now don`t want to return," senior Sindhi community leader, Shankar Lalwani said.
"They also include people belonging to Sikh community," he claimed.
The Centre had recently advised the states and the Union Territories that after following due procedures they can consider granting Long Term Visa (LTV) to such people.
But Lalwani said such visas were not a permanent solution.
Kishandas (60), who arrived in India recently on a religious visa for 35 days, but stayed here, claimed: "With great difficulty I managed to come to India on a religious visa after my grocery shop was looted by two persons in Jacobabad area. When I protested they shot at me but somehow I survived and came to India."
"The condition of religious minorities in Pakistan is very bad as nobody listens to our grievances. Therefore I did not report the matter to the police there," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof