Snoopgate probe a matter of public interest: Singhvi
Varanasi: Snoopgate probe is not personal but a matter of public interest, Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singvi said on Saturday as he defended Congress` decision to appoint a judge to head the inquiry into the scandal before May 16.
"It has nothing to?do with anyone`s personal life. Can a state machinery be used or misused to do surveillance on any citizen? Amit Shah should answer whether this issue is of personal or public interest," the Congress spokesperson said.
Congress has least interest in anyone`s private affairs... The issue is of wider public interest, he added.
Illegal surveillance of a young woman was allegedly done at the behest of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Shah, who was the state Home Minister during that period.
Yesterday, the government had said a judicial commission to probe `snoopgate` allegedly involving Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi and Shah will be in place before the Lok Sabha poll process comes to an end on May 16.
On Modi`s scheduled rally in Nehru-Gandhi family`s pocket borough Amethi in support of BJP candidate Smriti Irani who is taking on Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Singhvi said: "In India, anyone is free to go anywhere. Modi`s visit in Amethi will further strengthen Rahul Gandhi."
Taking a jibe at Modi`s Gujarat model, Singhvi said, "The model is like a balloon and it may deflate anytime."
Continuing his tirade against the BJP prime ministerial candidate, Singhvi said how can Modi expect uncompromising faith from the people of this country when senior party leadership including L K Advani, Jaswant Singh, Murli Manohar Joshi and others could not bank upon him.
"Modi possesses all qualities of a dictator and cannot tolerate any opposition within or outside the party," he said.
Rejecting opinion polls, Singhvi asserted that Congress was the front-runner in power race and it will have an absolute majority in the Parliament.
"In case something unexpected happens then Congress would seek support from all secular forces," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed