Snoopgate probe a matter of public interest: Singhvi
Varanasi: Snoopgate probe is not personal but a matter of public interest, Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singvi said on Saturday as he defended Congress` decision to appoint a judge to head the inquiry into the scandal before May 16.
"It has nothing to?do with anyone`s personal life. Can a state machinery be used or misused to do surveillance on any citizen? Amit Shah should answer whether this issue is of personal or public interest," the Congress spokesperson said.
Congress has least interest in anyone`s private affairs... The issue is of wider public interest, he added.
Illegal surveillance of a young woman was allegedly done at the behest of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Shah, who was the state Home Minister during that period.
Yesterday, the government had said a judicial commission to probe `snoopgate` allegedly involving Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi and Shah will be in place before the Lok Sabha poll process comes to an end on May 16.
On Modi`s scheduled rally in Nehru-Gandhi family`s pocket borough Amethi in support of BJP candidate Smriti Irani who is taking on Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Singhvi said: "In India, anyone is free to go anywhere. Modi`s visit in Amethi will further strengthen Rahul Gandhi."
Taking a jibe at Modi`s Gujarat model, Singhvi said, "The model is like a balloon and it may deflate anytime."
Continuing his tirade against the BJP prime ministerial candidate, Singhvi said how can Modi expect uncompromising faith from the people of this country when senior party leadership including L K Advani, Jaswant Singh, Murli Manohar Joshi and others could not bank upon him.
"Modi possesses all qualities of a dictator and cannot tolerate any opposition within or outside the party," he said.
Rejecting opinion polls, Singhvi asserted that Congress was the front-runner in power race and it will have an absolute majority in the Parliament.
"In case something unexpected happens then Congress would seek support from all secular forces," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM