Sonawane`s funeral held in Nashik
Nashik: The last rites of Yashwant
Sonawane, the Additional Collector of Malegaon, who was burnt
to death on Tuesday allegedly by the persons involved in fuel
adulteration near Manmad, were conducted here overnight.
Several government officials were present at the
Meanwhile, Popat Shinde, the prime suspect who also
suffered burn injuries in the gruesome incident, has been
shifted to Nashik Civil Hospital.
According to the police, Sonawane (42) was returning
from Chandrar village after reviewing the situation there in
the wake of a demonstration by onion farmers when he found
some people adulterating kerosene in a tanker parked behind
Sagar Dhaba at Panewadi.
Sonawane stopped and questioned them. He also called
up police. This prompted Shinde and three others to pour
kerosene on the official and set him afire. Sonawane died on
There are oil depots of Indian Oil and Bharat
Petroleum near Panewadi.
Popat Shinde has two earlier cases in connection with
fuel adulteration registered against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!