Sonawane`s funeral held in Nashik
Nashik: The last rites of Yashwant
Sonawane, the Additional Collector of Malegaon, who was burnt
to death on Tuesday allegedly by the persons involved in fuel
adulteration near Manmad, were conducted here overnight.
Several government officials were present at the
Meanwhile, Popat Shinde, the prime suspect who also
suffered burn injuries in the gruesome incident, has been
shifted to Nashik Civil Hospital.
According to the police, Sonawane (42) was returning
from Chandrar village after reviewing the situation there in
the wake of a demonstration by onion farmers when he found
some people adulterating kerosene in a tanker parked behind
Sagar Dhaba at Panewadi.
Sonawane stopped and questioned them. He also called
up police. This prompted Shinde and three others to pour
kerosene on the official and set him afire. Sonawane died on
There are oil depots of Indian Oil and Bharat
Petroleum near Panewadi.
Popat Shinde has two earlier cases in connection with
fuel adulteration registered against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Donald Trump calls for immediate closure of ''corrupt'' Clinton Foundation
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Japan's first lady makes first visit to Pearl Harbor