Sonawane`s funeral held in Nashik
Nashik: The last rites of Yashwant
Sonawane, the Additional Collector of Malegaon, who was burnt
to death on Tuesday allegedly by the persons involved in fuel
adulteration near Manmad, were conducted here overnight.
Several government officials were present at the
Meanwhile, Popat Shinde, the prime suspect who also
suffered burn injuries in the gruesome incident, has been
shifted to Nashik Civil Hospital.
According to the police, Sonawane (42) was returning
from Chandrar village after reviewing the situation there in
the wake of a demonstration by onion farmers when he found
some people adulterating kerosene in a tanker parked behind
Sagar Dhaba at Panewadi.
Sonawane stopped and questioned them. He also called
up police. This prompted Shinde and three others to pour
kerosene on the official and set him afire. Sonawane died on
There are oil depots of Indian Oil and Bharat
Petroleum near Panewadi.
Popat Shinde has two earlier cases in connection with
fuel adulteration registered against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users