Soz meets PM, pleads for non-closure of Srinagar airport
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Congress chief
Saifuddin Soz today requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to
direct concerned authorities to put off the repair work at the
Srinagar airport as its closure for 15 days would cause
immense hardships to people.
Soz met the Prime Minister in New Delhi and told him
till an alternative arrangement was made, the airport should
not be shut for repair work, the Rajya Sabha MP said in a
The Srinagar airport which handles around 12 flights
daily is to be closed for traffic from September one for at
least 15 days for runway repair work.
"I met the Prime Minister and sought his intervention
to get the repair work postponed.
"The Prime Minister assured me he will ask concerned
authorities to look into the matter immediately," Soz said.
"It is now clear the work will not be undertaken from
September one as there is no question of closing the airport
till an alternative arrangement is available," he said.
Soz told Manmohan Singh the closure of the airport
would cause tremendous hardships to the people of Jammu and
Kashmir in view of coming Eid festival.
"I told the PM unless an alternative airport at
Awantipora was thrown to air traffic, the repair work should
not be undertaken," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security Part II
- DNA: Analyzing the possible hands indulged in Scorpene Submarine data leak
- DNA: Analyzing the media coverage on Kashmir violence
- DNA: PM Modi's photos and Indian flag raised during protests in Balochistan
- Duleep Trophy: Abhinav Mukund, Sudeep Chatterjee pass 'Pink Test' with flying colours
- Militants attack American university in Kabul
- Sri Lanka vs Australia, 2nd ODI: All-round Lankans thrash clueless Aussies; level series 1-1
- Top five amazing benefits of spinach!
- When IIT directors chant Bharat Mata Ki Jai slogans during IIT council meet — Know what happened