Sri Ram Sene goons beat up Anna supporters
New Delhi: As the court remanded the three accused in Prashant Bhushan attack case to one day judicial custody, the right wing Sri Ram Sene activists, allegedly behind the assault, beat up Anna supporters including an elderly man who was punched and kicked in the face outside Patiala House court here on Thursday.
The elderly man, Rajkumar, was severely assaulted along with two other persons.
Rajkumar was repeatedly punched, dragged on the road before a jeans-clad youth rushed in and kicked him in the face.
"We were demonstrating to lodge our protest against yesterday`s attack on Bhushan. We had no intention to fight but these people came and roughed up. They kicked and slapped us," said one Anna`s supporters.
Rajkumar`s granddaughter was one of the two little girls who had helped Hazare break his 13-day anti-corruption fast at the Ram Lila Maidan in August.
The incident took place outside Gate No 2 of the Patiala Court complext at around 5 pm when the Sri Ram Sene activists were demanding the early release of the three accused Tejender Pal Singh Bagga, Vishnu Gupta and Inder Verma who assaulted the prominent Team Anna member in his chamber in the Supreme Court premises.
Anna supporters were registering their protest against yesterday’s assault on Bhushan and objected to sloganeering by Sri Ram Sene activists against Hazare.
Rajkumar and another injured person Mohd Shoufi were taken by the police to Ram Manohar Lohial Hospital.
The scuffle started when the Sene activists who were protesting outside the court premises suddenly turned violent as the news of judicial custody for the accused broke.
They also started thrashing Anna supporters present outside the court premises. A number of Anna supporters were injured in this fracas.
It should be noted that the Pramod Muthalik-headed right wing organisation Sri Ram Sene is infamous for its violent protests. On 24 January 2009, the Sri Ram Sene activists attacked girls in a pub in Mangalore.
A group of 40 activists of the Sri Rama Sena barged into the pub "Amnesia — The Lounge" and beat up a group of young women and men, claiming the women were violating traditional Indian values. Two of the women were hospitalized.
Meanwhile, Prashant Bhushan, who was assaulted by three youths yesterday for his alleged provocative remarks on Kashmir, called for banning such outfits which believe in violence.
“Organisations having a fascist mindset are on the rise. We should ban all such organizations which believe in violence as there could be no place for communalism in our society,” he said when questioned how he visualizes the rise of fascist tendencies in the country.
Meanwhile, an FIR has been lodged against the Sene activists late Thursday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India