Subsidised wheat, rice to 1.5 cr more BPL families from Oct 2
New Delhi: The government is likely to provide subsidised wheat and rice to 1.5 crore additional BPL families from October 2, Food and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar
told the Rajya Sabha on Friday.
Replying to supplementaries during Question Hour, he said the Planning Commission will give the revised number of people living below poverty line (BPL) in a month`s time.
The revision is being done based on the parameter decided by the Tendulkar Committee for identifying the poor. The exercise has been undertaken in view of the proposed Food
Security Act, which promises assured quantity of foodgrains to BPL families, he said.
The number of BPL people is likely to go up from 6.5 crore to 8.07 crore, he said adding, "It is the desire of the government, if possible, to introduce the scheme from October
2 (Gandhi Jayanti day)."
At present, the government is supplying every month about 35 kg of rice and wheat at subsidised rates to each poor family under BPL and AAY category. Rice is sold at Rs 5.65 a kg and wheat at Rs 4.15 a kg to BPL families, and at Rs 3 and Rs 2, respectively, for AAY families.
Pawar said it is government intended to give wheat and rice at Rs 3 per kg to people living below poverty line (BPL) but it has not yet been decided if the quantity would be 20 kg or 25 kg or 35 kg a month.
This will be possible only after passage of the National Food Security Bill, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015