Sudarshan`s mortal remains consigned to flames in Nagpur
Nagpur: The mortal remains of former RSS chief KS Sudarshan, who died in Raipur, were consigned to flames in the presence of scores of tearful mourners at a crematorium here on Sunday.
Sudarshan`s younger brother KS Ramesh, who arrived from Bangalore, lit the funeral pyre amid chanting of Vedic prayers.
The body of the former RSS chief, which was brought from Raipur in Chhattisgarh last evening, had been kept for public viewing at Maharshi Vyas hall in `Smruti Mandir`, the memorial of RSS founder Keshav Baliram Hedgewar.
The mortal remains were today taken in a chariot, which was pulled by several RSS workers, from Reshimbagh to Ganga Bai Ghat (crematorium) in a procession.
RSS Sarsanghchalak Mohan Bhagwat, BJP patriarch LK Advani, party president Nitin Gadkari, Opposition Leader in Rajya Sarbha Arun Jaitley, former BJP president Rajnath Singh, Deputy Leader in Lok Sabha Gopinath Munde and senior leader Ananth Kumar led the mourners in paying their last respects to Sudarshan.
Chief Ministers of BJP-ruled states, Narendra Modi (Gujarat), Shivraj Singh Chouhan (Madhya Pradesh), Jagdish Shettar (Karnataka), Dr Raman Singh (Chhattisgarh) were prominent among those present.
RSS General Secretary Bhaiyyaji Joshi, Deputy Chief Minister of Karnataka B Ramesh, RSS spokesperson Ram Madhav, Sanjay Joshi, Madhya Pradesh party stalwarts Kailash Joshi, Babulal Gour, former RSS spokesman Baburao Vaidya, BJP women`s wing president Smruti Irani, Vidarbha RSS functinaries Dr Dilip Gupta, Ravindra Joshi were also present.
Sudarshan, who was known for his hardline views and believed in the concept of `swadeshi`, died at the age of 81 after suffering a heart attack. He is survived by a brother and sister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?