Sunanda Pushkar death row: Azad denies tampering with autopsy report, questions AIIMS doctor`s credibility
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Two days after Dr Sudhir Gupta, head of AIIMS Forensic Department, alleged that he was pressurised to manipulate the postmortem report of Congress MP Shashi Tharoor`s wife Sunanda Pushkar, ex-Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said on Saturday that he was in no way involved in this matter.
Talking to reporters here at Congress headquarters, Azad said, “Can I ever think of such stupid things? Newspapers have written about the credibility of that person. The entire nation knows about me and they know that what type of person I am. I can`t ever think of doing any criminal activity.”
Instead, Azad rubbished claims of the head of AIIMS` forensic medicine department and questioned Sudhir Gupta`s credibility, saying he can "shoot his mouth off anytime against anybody".
Citing newspaper reports over certain allegations levelled against Gupta in past by his colleagues and superiors, the senior Congress leader questioned his credibility.
"You must have read in newspaper reports about credibility of the person. He can shoot his mouth off anytime against anybody," Azad said.
Meanwhile, Sudhir Gupta said that he will interact with the media soon to clarify his stance, adding that his duty was to pursue the truth in the case, according to reports.
"I`ll answer according to the government`s rules and the rights of a government servant... My duty is to pursue the truth in the Sunanda Pushkar`s post-mortem case," he said.
Gupta, who headed a three-member team that did the post mortem on the body of Pushkar had reportedly filed an affidavit before Central Administrative Tribunal in a service matter in which he had leveled the said allegation.
On Tuesday, Dr Sudhir Gupta had made a sensational allegation that he was pressured to change the postmortem report.
He also claimed that he was forced to say that the death of Sunanda Pushkar was "natural" and added that there is a malafide agenda to oust him from his position for taking a "professional position which went against vested interests".
"I was under pressure not to speak on autopsy details without discussing with top quarters of government. As a medical practitioner, I thought it is unfair to change my view on any autopsy. I gave correct statement to media after autopsy and was not biased. I gave representation to minister to save myself from departmental politics," he had said.
However, AIIMS had rejected the charge.
Sunanda Pushkar was found dead in a 5-star hotel in South Delhi on the night of January 17, a day after her twitter spat with Pakistani journalist Mehr Tarar over an alleged affair with Sunanda`s husband Shashi Tharoor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks