Suspected ISI agent held in Roorkee
Dehra Dun: A suspected ISI agent, who was providing vital information related to Army installations in Meerut and Roorkee to an officer of the Pakistani spy agency,
was arrested near Haridwar, a police official said on Thursday.
Furkan alias KK alias Ajay, a resident of Meerut in Haridwar district, was arrested from Roorkee railway station last night while he was about to catch a train, following a tip-off by a team of district police and special operations group, Haridwar Senior Superintendent of Police Kewal Khurana said.
Furkan was in touch with an ISI officer in Pakistan, identified as Major Rathod, for a long time and was providing him maps, photographs and other vital information of Army installations in Meerut and Roorkee through e-mail, he said.
He was being given Rs 5,000 per month by the ISI for providing the information to the agency, the SSP said.
Furkan`s name had appeared as an accomplice of Pakistani ISI agent Abid Ali alias Asad Ali who was arrested in Roorkee during the Mahakumbh mela last year. Ali had revealed during investigation that he had introduced Furkan to the ISI,
However, Furkan went abroad before he could be arrested and attempts were made to nab him after police learnt that he had returned, the SSP said.
He said on Tuesday, police got information that he was going to Lucknow from Meerut. However, he got down from the train at Moradabad railway station sensing that police was chasing him. Yesterday, he came to Roorkee to catch a train
where he was arrested.
Furkan`s arrest has come at a time when the passing out parade of the prestigious Indian Military Academy at Dehra Dun is just a week away and would be attended by President Pratibha Patil who will be its Reviewing Officer.
Ali was arrested by a special anti-terrorist squad (ATS) of Uttarakhand Police on January 25 last year following specific inputs that he was supplying vital information to Pakistan.
Some maps of cantonment areas, a laptop, a pen drive and some other vital documents were recovered from Ali. He had married a local girl to hide his identity to stay in Roorkee.
Ali flew from Lahore to Kathmandu and later came to India where he stayed under various aliases in different towns including Muzaffarnagar, Meerut, Lucknow and Bikaner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them