Teacher education programme: State depts to discuss panel recommendations
New Delhi: The government has convened a meeting of state education departments here on Tuesday to deliberate upon a panel`s recommendations on improving teacher education programmes which include pre-entry testing of candidates for admission to training institutes.
The Supreme Court-appointed Justice J S Verma Commission on improving teacher education system had submitted its report last August, with the suggestion of also exploring possibility of engaging teacher educators as visiting faculty in schools.
It had suggested development of a framework on school audit and teacher performance and increased investment in establishing teacher education institutions.
Underlining the sad state of affairs of preparing teachers in the country, the commission said, "The government should increase its investment for establishing teacher education institutions and increase the institutional capacity of teacher preparation, especially in the deficit states."
Besides, it stressed for pre-entry testing of candidates for admission to teacher education programmes.
The commission proposed strengthening regulatory powers and functions of National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE).
Justice Verma has also recommended that teacher educators could be considered as visiting faculty in school.
The rationale was that teacher educators are usually divorced from the realities and conditions prevalent in the school environment as also the expectations of the school system from the teachers.
The Supreme Court was of the view that the recommendations of the Commission deserve to be accepted and has requested the Centre and NCTE to file an affidavit in the implementation plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!