Team Anna gets go-ahead for fast at Jantar Mantar
New Delhi: Two days after refusing the nod for its protest at Jantar Mantar here, Delhi Police today granted permission to Team Anna to hold its indefinite fast from July 25 at the dharna hotspot here.
Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal claimed the police have given permission for its indefinite fast.
"Yes," Kejriwal told PTI through a text message when asked whether police have given permission to Team Anna to hold an indefinite fast at Jantar Mantar.
A senior Delhi Police official said they have given permission to the activists after they provided the required undertaking mandated by the Supreme Court.
Police had two days ago refused permission to Team Anna to hold the indefinite fast at Jantar Mantar from July 25, contending the timing coincided with the monsoon session of Parliament when it has to provide space to other outfits.
Activists had then refused to buy the arguement and said they will hold the protest only at the same spot or go to jail while accusing Home Minister P Chidambaram of not being allowed to hold the fast.
Team Anna had announced the indefinite protest against the UPA government on the issue of corruption and its alleged failure to enact a strong Lokpal as well as not setting up a Special Investigation Team to probe corruption charges against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his 14 Cabinet colleagues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli