Team Anna gets go-ahead for fast at Jantar Mantar
New Delhi: Two days after refusing the nod for its protest at Jantar Mantar here, Delhi Police today granted permission to Team Anna to hold its indefinite fast from July 25 at the dharna hotspot here.
Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal claimed the police have given permission for its indefinite fast.
"Yes," Kejriwal told PTI through a text message when asked whether police have given permission to Team Anna to hold an indefinite fast at Jantar Mantar.
A senior Delhi Police official said they have given permission to the activists after they provided the required undertaking mandated by the Supreme Court.
Police had two days ago refused permission to Team Anna to hold the indefinite fast at Jantar Mantar from July 25, contending the timing coincided with the monsoon session of Parliament when it has to provide space to other outfits.
Activists had then refused to buy the arguement and said they will hold the protest only at the same spot or go to jail while accusing Home Minister P Chidambaram of not being allowed to hold the fast.
Team Anna had announced the indefinite protest against the UPA government on the issue of corruption and its alleged failure to enact a strong Lokpal as well as not setting up a Special Investigation Team to probe corruption charges against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his 14 Cabinet colleagues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore