Teesta water sharing accord echoes in Parliament
New Delhi: An RSP member Monday expressed
concern in Lok Sabha over sharing of Teesta river water with Bangladesh, saying the proposed agreement on the issue would seriously affect the livelihood of the people of North Bengal.
Prasanta Kumar Majumdar raised the matter by walking into
the well of the House saying that the proposal to share Teesta
waters by a 50:50 ratio through an agreement, likely to be
signed during the upcoming visit of Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh to Bangladesh, would affect about one crore people of
five districts in the region.
Apparently on the same issue, West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee has cancelled her visit to Bangladesh as part
of the Prime Minister`s delegation.
Majumdar, who represents Balurghat constituency, said the
government should keep in mind that water supply for
irrigation purposes in this area should not be affected.
The lone RSP member said though he was not against river
water sharing and fully supported strengthening of relations
with Bangladesh, the livelihood of people of these districts
would be hit as most of them were dependent on agriculture.
The districts likely to be affected were Coochbehar,
Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, North and South Dinajpur, he said,
adding that the people of the region were also dependent on
tea gardens, most of which had closed down.
Majumdar also said that the Teesta Barrage project, an
important source of hydro-electric power in eastern India
apart from supplying water for irrigation, would be affected
by the sharing of water at 50:50 ratio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah