Temperatures drop in North India after rains
New Delhi: Mercury dropped slightly on Friday at most places across North India after Thursday`s rains, even as hot and humid conditions persisted in the region.
Maximum temperature came down in the national capital to settle a notch below normal at 39.3 degrees against yesterday`s 43.6 degrees Celsius, but the humidity settled at 77 per cent.
Rains led to a dip in mercury in Rajasthan also, where the monsoon is likely to arrive three-four days in advance as per a MeT department forecast.
Churu was the hottest place in the state with a high of 47 degrees.
The south-west monsoon will hit Mumbai during next 48 hours and will be normal across the country with overall 98 per cent rainfall, the IMD said, adding that a detailed prediction of it will be made next week.
Temperature also dipped in Punjab and Haryana, but high humidity, up to 100 per cent in some places, left people sweating.
While mercury in Chandigarh stood at 36.6 degrees, two notches below normal, it was recorded in Amritsar at 41 degrees Celsius.
Ludhiana and Patiala had a high of 39.1 and 37.2 degrees Celsius respectively, settling up to 4 notches below normal.
Light to heavy rains continued to occur at isolated places in Uttar Pradesh, leading to decline in the temperature in Faizabad, Bareilly, Gorakhpur, and Meerut divisions.
While Barabanki and Ambedkarnagar recorded 6 cm rainfall each, Lucknow and Faizabad registered 5 cm each. It was 4 cm rainfall in Basti, 3 cm each in Sultanpur, Saharanpur and Muzaffarnagar.
Highest maximum temperature of 45.6 degree Celsius was recorded at Banda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Magnitude 5.5 quake hits near Chile's copper mining area, says USGS
- Colombia to get UN peace monitors, possible referendum
- Brexit: Here are answers to 5 key questions on what will happen next in Britain's relations with European Union
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal