Thackeray pitches for `Hindutvawadi` PM
Mumbai: In a statement that would not go well with NDA ally Janata Dal (United), Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray Friday pitched for a Prime Minister with Hindu ideology in the next General Elections.
"A person who is a staunch `Hindutvawadi` (follower of Hindu ideology) should become the Prime Minister of the country," Thackeray wrote in an editorial in party mouthpiece `Saamana`.
Earlier this week, JD(U) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar suggested a "secular" Prime Ministerial candidate for the BJP-led NDA in the 2014 general elections. His statement, seen as an attack on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, had invited sharp reaction from BJP and RSS.
Taking a swipe at Nitish, the Sena patriarch said these "secularists" do not want a person following Hindu ideology to become Prime Minister. He said the word secular has become an "abuse".
The Sena, which is part of the NDA, criticised the BJP-led Opposition alliance for delaying announcement of its Presidential nominee.
"Since they did not have a candidate of their own, they borrowed P A Sangma as their Presidential nominee."
Interestingly, Congress too had described Sangma, a former Lok Sabha Speaker and one of the founding members of NCP, as a "borrowed" candidate.
The Sena chief reiterated his party`s support for UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, saying the decision was taken in the best interest of the country.
"Although, Shiv Sena and JD(U) have not supported Sangma, that does not mean NDA is a divided house. If Congress think in that way they are wrong," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!