TN fishermen intercepted by Lankan counterparts
Nagapattinam (TN): About 15 Tamil Nadu fishermen
were intercepted by their Sri Lankan counterparts while
fishing in Indian waters and took away their catch at
Kodakarai in the district, official sources said here today.
The Tamil Nadu fishermen, who put out to sea on Saturday,
were fishing about 15 nautical miles off Kodiakarai coast when
a group of their Sri Lankan counterparts surrounded their
boats and threatened at knife-point before snatching away
their jewels, fish catch and mobile phones, totally worth
about Rs one lakh, the sources said.
The fishermen returned to the shore last night.
During the past two weeks, fishermen from Vedaranyam in the
district were attacked by Sri Lankan fishermen and the navy of
the island nation while fishing in Indian waters seven times,
the sources said.
The fishermen urged immediate intervention by state and
Central Governments to prevent such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31