TN fishermen intercepted by Lankan counterparts
Nagapattinam (TN): About 15 Tamil Nadu fishermen
were intercepted by their Sri Lankan counterparts while
fishing in Indian waters and took away their catch at
Kodakarai in the district, official sources said here today.
The Tamil Nadu fishermen, who put out to sea on Saturday,
were fishing about 15 nautical miles off Kodiakarai coast when
a group of their Sri Lankan counterparts surrounded their
boats and threatened at knife-point before snatching away
their jewels, fish catch and mobile phones, totally worth
about Rs one lakh, the sources said.
The fishermen returned to the shore last night.
During the past two weeks, fishermen from Vedaranyam in the
district were attacked by Sri Lankan fishermen and the navy of
the island nation while fishing in Indian waters seven times,
the sources said.
The fishermen urged immediate intervention by state and
Central Governments to prevent such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore