Trinamool to support govt on Lankan Tamils issue
New Delhi: UPA`s estranged ally Trinamool Congress today sprang a surprise by promising to support the government on whatever stand it takes on Sri Lankan Tamils issue at the UNHRC.
"Our party is deeply concerned about sentiments expressed by the Tamil people. We share their sentiments and are completely with them," the party said in a tweet on its official account.
At the same time, it added, "On matters of external policy, we have, from the beginning, always left it to central government in moments of crisis. We will do the same on this occasion."
The statement implied that the party will stand by whatever position the government takes with regard to the resolution on Sri Lanka at the UNHRC.
Sources said that prior to the Trinamool statement, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath had reached out to Mamata Banerjee by talking to her this morning.
Banerjee is understood to have conveyed the same sentiment to him as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH