UN hails Odisha handling of cyclone Phailin
Bhubaneswar: Odisha government`s "effective" management of the very severe cyclonic storm Phailin, which hit the state`s coast on October 12, has earned praise from the United Nations, official sources said Tuesday.
"Odisha`s handling of the very severe cyclone will be a landmark success story in disaster management," Margareta Wahlstr`m, Special Representative of the UN Secretary General (SRSG) for Disaster Risk Reduction said, according to an official of the Chief Minister`s Office here.
Wahlstr`m, the official said, spoke to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today over phone and appreciated efforts of the state government and others for effectively evacuating and protecting precious lives.
The state government, which fixed the target of "Zero Casualty" during the cyclone, had earlier said it had evacuated as many as 9,83,553 people from the coast.
Chief Minister Patnaik had expressed satisfaction over proper handling of the cyclone and said "We have been successful in saving and protecting precious lives."
While as many as 9,885 people had died in the super cyclone which hit Odisha coast in 1999, this time the casualty figure was confined to 21, official sources said.
Of the above 9 lakh people evacuated from the coastal regions, about 2.5 lakh were shifted from Ganjam district, where the cyclone made landfall at about 9 pm on October 12.
Ganjam`s young collector Krishan Kumar said "It was hard to convince people in the coastal areas to move out. We started the evacuation process on October 11 at about 4 pm."
The eviction work was completed much before the cyclone`s landfall, Kumar added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed