UN, India sign Development Action Framework
New Delhi: The UN Development Action
Framework (UNDAF) for India for 2013-2017 was signed between
the United Nations and Planning Commission here on Thursday.
The UN Development Action Framework (DAF) is the
overarching framework that articulates the UN system`s vision,
strategy and plan of action in support of national development
efforts over a five-year period.
UNDAF 2013-2017 is the third development framework
between the government of India and the United Nations, an
official statement said.
Signing of the UNDAF will pave the way for UN entities
operating in India to finalise their respective Country
Programme Documents and work plans with their respective `line
The UNDAF 2013-2017 is harmonised with the 12th Five-Year
Plan`s (2012-17) objectives of faster, sustainable and more
It aims at the attainment of six development outcomes --
inclusive growth, food and nutrition security, gender
equality, equitable access to quality basic services,
governance and sustainable development.
The new UNDAF will focus the efforts of the UN on nine
states -- Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya
Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha and Uttar Pradesh.
Under the framework, the UN system will also consider
selected interventions in the North-East, including HIV/AIDS,
human development index/child development index, human and
child rights programmes.
The UNDAF focuses on joint work in areas where the UN has
a collective comparative advantage in adding value to national
The foreword to the document has been signed by Planning
Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
Twenty UN entities, including the Food and Agriculture
Organisation (FAO), International Labour Organisation, UNESCO
and World Health Organisation, are signatories to the
Signing of the UN Development Action Framework (UNDAF)
marks the culmination of an eight-month-long exercise co-led
by the Planning Commission and UN in partnership with various
ministries of the government of India, international
development partners, civil society and other key development
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30