UN, India sign Development Action Framework
New Delhi: The UN Development Action
Framework (UNDAF) for India for 2013-2017 was signed between
the United Nations and Planning Commission here on Thursday.
The UN Development Action Framework (DAF) is the
overarching framework that articulates the UN system`s vision,
strategy and plan of action in support of national development
efforts over a five-year period.
UNDAF 2013-2017 is the third development framework
between the government of India and the United Nations, an
official statement said.
Signing of the UNDAF will pave the way for UN entities
operating in India to finalise their respective Country
Programme Documents and work plans with their respective `line
The UNDAF 2013-2017 is harmonised with the 12th Five-Year
Plan`s (2012-17) objectives of faster, sustainable and more
It aims at the attainment of six development outcomes --
inclusive growth, food and nutrition security, gender
equality, equitable access to quality basic services,
governance and sustainable development.
The new UNDAF will focus the efforts of the UN on nine
states -- Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya
Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha and Uttar Pradesh.
Under the framework, the UN system will also consider
selected interventions in the North-East, including HIV/AIDS,
human development index/child development index, human and
child rights programmes.
The UNDAF focuses on joint work in areas where the UN has
a collective comparative advantage in adding value to national
The foreword to the document has been signed by Planning
Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
Twenty UN entities, including the Food and Agriculture
Organisation (FAO), International Labour Organisation, UNESCO
and World Health Organisation, are signatories to the
Signing of the UN Development Action Framework (UNDAF)
marks the culmination of an eight-month-long exercise co-led
by the Planning Commission and UN in partnership with various
ministries of the government of India, international
development partners, civil society and other key development
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH