Understand our nation and its institutions: Prez to students
New Delhi: Choose to engage with "our beautiful, complex, often difficult and sometimes noisy democracy", President Pranab Mukherjee on tuesday said in his message to students of premier universities and institutions.
Addressing students through video-conferencing and web-casting, the President said students are the bright future of the nation.
The extent of India`s progress will be decided by their energy, drive, initiative and industry, Mukherjee said.
"Understand our nation and its institutions. Read, learn and formulate views on national issues. Choose to engage with our beautiful, complex, often difficult and sometimes noisy democracy," the President was quoted as saying in a press release issued by the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Mukherjee delivered his new year message to students and faculty members of Central universities, IITs, NITs and other central institutions using National Knowledge Network from the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Understand your rights and duties well, especially towards those who are less fortunate. The voiceless deserve your voice; the weak deserve your strength; and the needy deserve your help. Make the best use of your knowledge in the service of the nation and its citizens, he said.
Mukherjee said pursuit of academic excellence should be accompanied with the quest for moral development.
"Students` preparedness for life should be on the foundation of essential values of patriotism, compassion, tolerance, integrity and equality," he said.
`Inspired Teachers` by their own example can instill good moral values in their students. These teachers must be encouraged to share their wisdom, thoughts and experience with the larger academic community, the President said.
He suggested that an Inspired Teachers` Lecture Series be initiated to carry forward the benefits of excellence in teaching.
The President`s new year message was received by institutes connected over 400 locations all over the country.
It is for the first time that the President, as visitor of the Central universities and institutions, has used the National Knowledge Network to reach out to the students and academic communities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender