UNSC seat for India not linked with NPT: US
Washington: The United States says it does not see its support for India becoming a permanent member of the UN Security Council at odds with New Delhi`s refusal to sign two nuclear treaties.
"Well, we don`t see those as being at odds," State Department spokesman Philip J. Crowley told reporters Tuesday when asked to explain US support for India`s bid despite its refusal to sign the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) and
the nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT).
Asked if given President Barack Obama`s interest in removing nuclear weapons from the world, India`s candidature should be looked at par with Japan and South Africa, which have shunned nuclear weapons, he said: "India has shown itself to be a responsible global stakeholder."
"And the President announced our position on India`s membership in the Security Council. And our support for India is not exclusive of our support for other countries as well," Crowley said.
But "We are supportive of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty," he said. US had also "encouraged Pakistan to sign on to the Fissile Material Cut-Off Regime."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues