US congratulates India, Pak for cricket diplomacy
New Delhi: The US on Wednesday congratulated India
and Pakistan for progress made in the peace talks and lauded
the leadership of the two countries for initiating "cricket
"We commend the leaders of both countries for carrying
forward with what the media is calling cricket diplomacy," US
Ambassador to India Timothy Roemer said.
In a statement issued here, he also applauded the progress
made on a wide range of issues in the just-concluded Home
Secretary level talks.
Roemer wished Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his
Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani for success in their
This is Gilani`s first visit to India after becoming Prime
Minister of Pakistan in March 2008. The two leaders had
earlier met in Sharm-el-Shaikh, Washington and most recently
last year in Thimphu on the sidelines of the SAARC Summit.
"India and Pakistan will take the talks forward at their
own pace, ability and character. Continued dialogue, combined
with cricket diplomacy, expanding people-to-people ties and
enthusiasm and optimism on both sides, offers promise of a
more prosperous and peaceful region," Roemer said.
Gilani is in Mohali to watch the cricket World Cup
semi-final match between India and Pakistan.
Singh had invited Gilani to watch the sporting event after
it became clear last week that India would take on Pakistan in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- This smartphone app can help you avoid unplanned pregnancy!
- Taiwan 'to test-fire missiles in US' as China tensions rise
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'