‘US entering plea bargain with Headley suspicious’
New Delhi: On the eve of third anniversary
of 26/11 Mumbai attack, former Union Home Secretary GK Pillai
on Friday accused the United States of entering into plea bargain
with one of the key accused David Headley without taking
India into confidence.
Pillai questioned the motive behind the US entering into
the plea bargain with Pakistani-American Headley, who did a
recce of the 26/11 targets for the Lashkar-e-Taiba, which
carried out the attack three years ago.
"I think the very fact that a person who is so closely
involved in 26/11 attacks, once arrested, the Americans went
into a plea bargain without informing us. One of the
conditions was he would not be extradited to India. So we
would like to suspect the motive behind the plea bargain
itself," he told reporters here.
Pillai said the circumstances in which Headley travelled
into India, then Pakistan and then to the United States eight
or nine times, it should have raised the alarm in America.
"Besides, the (his) first wife and the second wife all
said that he was involved in terror activities -- no action
has taken. We have raised these issues but the Americans, I
think, were in total denials of these," he said.
The retired bureaucrat said the US was yet to share with
India lots of information about Headley which include
information about his passport, information about his
bank accounts, information about complaints, reports and
explanation given by his second wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’