Use tact and wisdom apart from vigil: Chidambaram to SSB
New Delhi: Sending out a strong message to
the SSB, guarding the porous and open Indo-Nepal and
Indo-Bhutan borders, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram today
said the force needs to use "great tact and wisdom" to execute
it`s duties effectively.
"Unlike other borders, these two (Indo-Nepal and
Indo-Bhutan) borders present special difficulties. They are
open borders. For a border guarding force with an open
border... calls for great tact and wisdom apart from being
vigilant and strong," Chidambaram said while addressing troops
and officers during the 46th raising day celebrations here.
The Home Minister said he was glad to know that "SSB is
giving importance for relocating it`s Border Out Posts (BOPs)
to strategic advantages closer to the International Border to
check the inflow of anti-national elements."
The Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) guards 1,751 kilometre
of Indo-Nepal and 699 kilometre of Indo-Bhutan borders.
Chidambaram also praised the force for "setting a good
precedent by making it compulsory for officers to visit all
BOP`s and frequently make a certain number of night halts" at
On the sidelines of the event when the Home Minister
was asked about the probe in the David Headley case he said,
"let us see. The NIA will investigate" without elaborating
Chidambaram praised the SSB for undertaking civic
action works amongst local population in various states.
I am happy to know that SSB has been able to achieve
mutually beneficial relationship with the people... especially
in Chhattisgarh and other states.
The SSB has been protecting almost ten state
government-run Salwa Judum camps in two districts-- Bijapur
and Dantewada in Chhattisgarh since the last year.
Director General of the force M V Krishna Rao said women
personnel of the SSB, equivalent to seven companies (about 700
personnel), have been deployed on the borders to carry out
patrols and checks on smugglers.
The force has fine-tuned its Standard Operating Procedures
(SOP`s) and has relocated its BOP`s closer to the border, Rao
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth