Vigilance should not stifle genuine risk taking capacity: CBI
New Delhi: CBI director AP Singh on Wednesday said vigilance organisations should ensure that genuine risk taking and loss resulting from bonafide commercial decisions do not become subject matter of enquiry.
The rationale behind any vigilance activity is not to reduce, but to enhance the effectiveness of the government delivery mechanism, he said.
"It is important that vigilance organisations take care to ensure that their activities do not stifle genuine risk taking and every loss resulting from a bona-fide commercial decision does not necessarily become the subject matter of vigilance enquiry," Singh said at the annual conference of CBI and state anti-corruption bureaus here.
He said agencies engaged in administration and vigilance should step in only when there is a specific complaint of allegations of abuse of official position, demand or acceptance of illegal gratification, acquisition of disproportionate assets or evidence of misappropriation and other criminal offences.
Singh said CBI`s capacity to investigate 1,000 cases per year remained static during last two years and there was an urgent need to double it.
At the same conference, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh gave away 15 President`s Police Medal and CBI medals to the agency`s officers.
Those felicitated included Joint Directors Rajeev Kumar Tandon and Prabodh Kumar, Superintendent of Police N P Rajeevakshan, Additional SPs B P Bagchi, Karnail Singh, Raman Rajaram Tyagi, Deputy SP S R Thakur, Inspector Jagdish Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!