Vigilance should not stifle genuine risk taking capacity: CBI
New Delhi: CBI director AP Singh on Wednesday said vigilance organisations should ensure that genuine risk taking and loss resulting from bonafide commercial decisions do not become subject matter of enquiry.
The rationale behind any vigilance activity is not to reduce, but to enhance the effectiveness of the government delivery mechanism, he said.
"It is important that vigilance organisations take care to ensure that their activities do not stifle genuine risk taking and every loss resulting from a bona-fide commercial decision does not necessarily become the subject matter of vigilance enquiry," Singh said at the annual conference of CBI and state anti-corruption bureaus here.
He said agencies engaged in administration and vigilance should step in only when there is a specific complaint of allegations of abuse of official position, demand or acceptance of illegal gratification, acquisition of disproportionate assets or evidence of misappropriation and other criminal offences.
Singh said CBI`s capacity to investigate 1,000 cases per year remained static during last two years and there was an urgent need to double it.
At the same conference, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh gave away 15 President`s Police Medal and CBI medals to the agency`s officers.
Those felicitated included Joint Directors Rajeev Kumar Tandon and Prabodh Kumar, Superintendent of Police N P Rajeevakshan, Additional SPs B P Bagchi, Karnail Singh, Raman Rajaram Tyagi, Deputy SP S R Thakur, Inspector Jagdish Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof