Vijay Goel bats for Advani as PM, later retracts
New Delhi: Hinting at differences within the Bharatiya Janata Party over who will be its prime ministerial candidate in the 2014 General Elections, Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel on Saturday suggested senior leader LK Advani`s name as the "head of government" after the polls.
Speaking at a function celebrating the BJP’s 33rd Founding Day, Goel said the party would register a victory in the upcoming polls under the leadership of Advani.
"The party was strengthened by Atal Bihari Vajpayee and LK Advani. Vajpayee has been unwell but under Advani`s guidance the BJP will come to power in 2014," said Goel.
Later, in a volte face, Goel said that he was nobody to declare the name of the PM candidate. The parliamentary board will decide on that, he added.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is considered to be a prominent candidate of the BJP for the PM’s post. Many BJP leaders, on various occasions, have said that Modi is the perfect choice for the key post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack