We have people`s support against Quota Bill: Mulayam
Etawah: After his party MPs blocked the passage of the quota bill in Lok Sabha, Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Friday claimed that SP enjoyed people`s support against the move to provide reservation to SCs/STs in government job promotions.
Yadav said his party MPs did not allow the bill to be passed by Lok Sabha on the last day of the Winter session of Parliament which ended yesterday.
He said his party has only eight members in Rajya Sabha where the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill, 2012, was adopted.
"Our party may have only eight members in Rajya Sabha, but is strongly opposed to the issue and did not allow the bill to get passed in Lok Sabha by opposing it alone," he said.
The SP supremo said his party may not have adequate numbers in Parliament, but people outside were with it.
SP is opposed to reservation in promotion, a demand put forward by Mayawati, whose BSP had apparently extended support to the UPA on the FDI issue as a quid pro quo for passage of the quota bill.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know