We have people`s support against Quota Bill: Mulayam
Etawah: After his party MPs blocked the passage of the quota bill in Lok Sabha, Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Friday claimed that SP enjoyed people`s support against the move to provide reservation to SCs/STs in government job promotions.
Yadav said his party MPs did not allow the bill to be passed by Lok Sabha on the last day of the Winter session of Parliament which ended yesterday.
He said his party has only eight members in Rajya Sabha where the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill, 2012, was adopted.
"Our party may have only eight members in Rajya Sabha, but is strongly opposed to the issue and did not allow the bill to get passed in Lok Sabha by opposing it alone," he said.
The SP supremo said his party may not have adequate numbers in Parliament, but people outside were with it.
SP is opposed to reservation in promotion, a demand put forward by Mayawati, whose BSP had apparently extended support to the UPA on the FDI issue as a quid pro quo for passage of the quota bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery