Will AAP`s Shazia Ilmi give tough fight to Sonia Gandhi in LS polls?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Soon after Aam Aadmi Party released its first list of 20 candidates for Lok Sabha elections, rumours began doing the rounds that the party may project Shazia Ilmi as its candidate from Rae Bareli against Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
In Delhi Assembly polls Ilmi had lost the RK Puram seat to Anil Sharma of the BJP by a slender margin of 326 votes.
Although AAP has officially not confirmed any such information on Ilmi, sources close to the party revealed that a known name is being considered to contest against Sonia Gandhi.
"We are yet to finalise our candidates," party spokesperson Dilip Pandey said.
The list, which came two days after AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal quit as Delhi chief minister, carries names of candidates from Delhi (2), Uttar Pradesh (7), Maharashtra (6), Haryana, Arunachal Pradesh, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh and Punjab — one each.
TV journalist-turned-politician Ashutosh will contest from Chandni Chowk seat in Delhi held by Union minister Kapil Sibal.
AAP has given ticket to former scribe Mukul Tripathi for Farukhabad seat in Uttar Pradesh, the constituency of another Union Minister Salman Khurshid.
Advocate H S Phoolka will contest from Ludhiana, currently held by I and B minister Manish Tewari, while activist Hardev Singh has been given ticket in Mulayam Singh Yadav`s stronghold Mainpuri.
AAP has fielded anti-corruption activist Anjali Damania from Nagpur against former BJP National president Nitin Gadkari.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'